Monday, September 29, 2008

Stephanie O. Indian Education For All

I have lived in Montana almost my entire life, and it seems that no matter where I live in this great state there is a reservation near by. I know that if I plan on teaching in the same state that I have lived in most of my life, I will encounter Native American students in my classroom. During class last week it was pointed out that Native American students learn extremely different then a lot of the students we will have in our classrooms. Also, as a teacher, I need to practice not stereo typing Native American students.
A few of the differences that my fellow classmates pointed out that really shocked me was: when Native American students don't look you in the eye, they are showing you respect by not looking you in the eye; also, most native American students learn best by getting up and moving around.
A couple of activities that I am interested in using for my students when I am trying to teach my students are: Playing jeopardy by splitting the students into groups of like 3 or 4 (depends on number of students) and have them take turns answering the questions (always switching the groups can help keep students interacting with all the students in class); also, when trying to teach my students how to do word problems, teach them to use a computer to highlight the important parts of the problem so that they can learn what parts of the problem they need to answer the question (this can help all types of students with different learning styles).

1 comment:

EDCI Student said...

jon lane...

i completely understand you about using different tactics to teach different students and trying not to sterotype students also. but as a teacher the most important thing you can do.. to me.. is sometimes point out the negative sterotypes to students but then come in with the true idenity of the native culture. it just seems like it would be more powerful rather than just jumping straight into the positive things about the culture. Because no matter what race we are, we all have sterotypes that we must confront and overcome.