Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jessica W. Assignment #4c

I think Wednesday's class was very interesting. One thing that I was really suprised to learn was that some tribes consider it a sign of repect to look away and not to make direct eye contact with a person who is talking to them. It is exactly the opposite in our society so it is very important to be aware of, especially when we live in a place so highly populated with Native Americans. Another thing I learned on Wednesday was the was about pow wows. I had no idea how strict the judging is or that they were so competitive. I think it is very impressive that they each make such ellaborate costumes.

An activity I think would be fun to do with my students is to have them break up into tribes to research all about them, then do presentations for the class. I am going to be an elementary teacher and I think younger children would have a lot of fun learning about their tribe and sharing with the class. Another thing that would be pretty fun to do is to have a day devoted to Native Americans. The children could listen to the tribal music, eat Indian tacos, etc. This would be a really fun way for the students to learn about Native American culture and traditions

3 comments:

EDCI Student said...

I love the idea about beaking up into tribes. I think it's especially informative to then give the presentations to the class. It's a good break from listening to the teacher all the time
-Brielle Colstad

EDCI Student said...

I think it is very important to start teaching younger students about different cultures. And finding ways like this, to create an exciting and interesting lesson plan for students is a good ideas

EDCI Student said...

the previous statement is by Marissa S. Sorry