Friday, September 26, 2008

Marlee W. #4c

Wednesday’s class was very informative about Indian Education for all. I was reminded of several things such as cultural differences and the bias towards Indians through a Euro-American education. This class helped to reiterate how important it is to keep in mind that my Indian students may react and act differently because of their culture. I will also need to examine the textbooks I give to my students so that I can be sure to teach around any biases.
I would like to incorporate several activities to encourage my student to understand different cultures and other students in their class. I think it would be very interesting for my students to break off into small groups and research a particular tribe’s customs such as stories of their history, their musical culture, and how they have been affected by westward expansion. As a lighter assignment I would have students do what I did in my group, which is to read a variety of books and examine the different points of view that the characters take and why they feels the way they do.

No comments: