Thursday, September 25, 2008

Keely T #4c

Indian Education for All should be a very important aspect of classrooms. I believe that it is important that teachers see the differences in learning styles and the biases of text books. I was not aware of the different style of body language used by Native American students. I also enjoyed seeing the representation of sign language and how it could be used in the classroom. I did not know that the Powwow dancing was judged and learning some of the ways that they earned and lost points.

As I am majoring in elementary education I will need to incorporate the Indian Education for All through using correct stories in children's books during their education of Christopher Columbus's travel to America. I would also enjoy incorporating different games and Indian cultural ideas into the students learning. It is also important for me to remember the differences learning styles and body language that will allow my Native American students to feel more welcome and at home in the classroom.

1 comment:

EDCI Student said...

I think it’s a great idea to incorporate Indian education when teaching about Christopher Columbus. Most of the time Christopher Columbus is made a hero. By teaching both sides of the story not just the Euro –American version, therefore, children will be able to form theirs our opinions.
~Shannon D.