Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Heidi F assignment #4c

This assignment brought many things involving Indian Education For All to my attention.  One thing was the bias that comes from teaching from a Euro-American perspective and the importance of being skeptical when finding the "truth".  Another thing I learned about were a few of the social differences that exist within "white"and 'Indian" students, such as the different meanings in eye contact and being singled out.

I want to incorporate Indian Education into my classroom by getting the community involved through events and appearances.  I believe getting information from the source is much more effective than reading it out of a book.  I also want to give my class the responsibility of choosing specific topics that they want to learn more about.  First, I want to find out what they know, then we can get right into what they want to know.  By doing this we won't waste time and they will be able to dive head first into the knowledge that they want.

6 comments:

EDCI Student said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EDCI Student said...

Very good. I liked the part in the activities section about doing things that the students are interested in. This could be a great tactic for a teacher, and has the potential for positive results.
-Kyle Neibauer

EDCI Student said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EDCI Student said...

I think it is really great that you want the students to be able to choose what they want to learn. That seems like a fun option for them since they do not really have a choice about many things in the curriculum.

Jessica W.

EDCI Student said...

I thought it was good idea to have the community involved and that the students will have the choice to decide what topic they want to learn about. Good Job.

Courtney S.

EDCI Student said...

I enjoyed your post, I particularly agree with the idea that the students will research what they are interested in. I also thought incorporating the community would be a great asset to your lesson plan. Not only would it be more informative for the students to learn through others instead of textbooks, but it would give them unique insight.
-Marlee Witbrod