Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Marissa S. Assignment #4c

The unit we did on Indian Education for All was very interesting. I learned a number of new things. Specifically, different ideas for alternate teaching styles that will help us as teachers in the classroom. It is important to understand different culture. Not forcing students to answer questions or singling anyone out, even if it is for good reasons. It is important to understand their family and cultural up bringing. I was also reminded of the importance of finding significance in you teaching so students can connect what you are saying to their life, do not just focus on the “Euro-American” side of things.
In my classroom there are many ways to incorporate Indian Education for All. I am focusing on secondary Art and History. As an art teacher I could spend time teaching Art History and allowing students to take styles and techniques discussed and create their own works. As a history teacher I think it would be most important to make sure I tell the whole story and spent extra time telling their histories.

2 comments:

EDCI Student said...

I think Marissa has a couple good ideas on how to incorporate Indian Education For All into her classroom. People often forget about Native American art styles and techniques. It would be interesting to see how students would perceive the styles and then create their own work. Also with looking at the Native American's side of history is important to keep in mind. Looks like Marissa has some great ideas to work with!

EDCI Student said...

I forgot to sign my name above sorry!
Kelsey H.