Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Kjel O. 4C

Last class when we discussed Native American Education for All and I learned several things about Native Americans. One thing that really stood out to me was the amount of Indian reservations there is in the state of Montana. I have lived in Montana for my entire life and was well aware that there was several reservations but I had no idea the number was as high as 8! Another important thing I learned was that in most Indian culture's , making eye contact with someone of a higher stature is considered disrespectful. This information could make teaching situations much easier when working with Native Americans easier.

There are several ways I believe I can incorporate Indian Education for all in my classroom. One way I believe that would be great for all students in my class would be to incorporate Indian Dance into my dance unit. This would be a great way for American Indians in my class to express themselves as well as share part of their heritage with the class. This would also be a wonderful activity for other students to learn the importance of dance in Indian culture's. Another activity I could use would be to incorporate Indian games into my unit. Evens activities as simple as traditional archery target shooting would be great!

No comments: