Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Kelsey H #4C

Two things I learned about Indian Education for All are there are different ways of teaching Native American students. The Learning Center I did on different strategies was very helpful. Knowing different ways to arrange the classroom to who I can call upon for help in my classroom is helpful. The second thing I learned is how there is starting to be books written from the Native American perspective on our Nation's history. These books would be very helpful in the classroom to help keep the bias to a minimum.
Two ideas I can incorporate into the classroom could be with literature and history. With literature I can give my students a book which has Native Americans in the story. I would divide the students into groups and give each group an area to research. Areas for them to research would be what tribe is in the book, where is the tribe located, any information they could find on the tribe, what is their native language. The groups would write down their thoughts and ideas first and then research to find out how close they were to their thoughts. Secondly, in a history lesson I could present a certain time frame and ask the students to research the time period from the "Euro-American" side and from the Native American side. What was going on at the time for both sides, how were wars, massacres, trading, etc seen from both sides. Then as a class we could look at the differences from each side.

No comments: